Encyclopedia D

Deer Range Plantation:
Plaquemines Parish.
– Owner Maunsel White, he was the first person in the U.S. to grow what he called “tobasco” peppers. Col. White invented a process for creating “Col. Maunsel White’s Concentrated Extract of Tobasco Sauce” by adding vinegar and salt to the peppers.
– Home of the Deer Range Brass Band.
– Jim Robinson grew up on the plantation, as his nephew Sidney Brown.
– It was the home of Chris and Ben Kelly.

Deichmann’s:
1332 Perdido
William Deichmann opened a grocery in 1900 and was still in business in 1907, he combined it with a barrelhouse saloon shortly after 1902.5,p53

Dew Drop Dance Hall:
Mandeville La

“New Orleans Jazz” did not first develop and thrive only within the city limits. In the early decades of the music’s development, musicians (both individually and in bands) flowed both ways from the city to numerous small and medium sized towns in the surrounding area.
Mandeville Louisiana is a town on the shores of Lake Pontchartrain, to the north of New Orleans. Regular ferry boat service connected the town with New Orleans. Bands played on the boats and in dancehalls in Mandeville and nearby towns.

The Dew Drop Dance Hall in Mandeville Louisiana is a rare historic surviving example of an old style dance hall of the late 1800s/early1900s in almost pristine condition. It was built in January of 1895 (by the Dew Drop Social Aid & Pleasure Society, founded a decade earlier). The structure held regular dances up til the early 1930s. For over half a century afterwards, it was used for nothing but storage and was not modified in any way.

Dew Drop outside

Artists such as Bunk Johnson, Buddy Petit, Papa Celestin, George Lewis. Kid Ory, Edmond Hall, Chester Zardis and others played here.
The Dew Drop Hall is a simple structure. It is raised on brick piers (common to protect from periodic floods in the era before better drainage and flood protection levees). It is a plain rectangular cypress wood building, without electricity or indoor plumbing. The front and back each have a doorway; the sides a row of windows. The windows have no glass nor screens, only simple wooden shutters that can be opened or closed.

The interior is a single-room, mostly an open floor for dancing, with plain benches along the sides of the walls. In the back is the typical old-style raised bandstand.

These photographs were taken 18 April, 2000. The event was a special concert in honor of the re-opening of the dance hall as a protected historical landmark. The band consisted of (from left to right) Barry Martyn, drums; Wendell Eugene, trombone; Greg Stafford, trumpet; Dr. Micheal White, clarinet; Gerry Adams, string bass; Bill Huntington, banjo.
The band played in the old style, almost all ensemble. There was no electronic amplification since of course none is needed. Microphones were
present, but only to record the music. Electricity for lights and cameras for
filming the event was run in with long extention cords. Folding chairs were set up in most of the interior since unlike in the old days more people sit and listen than dance to the music.
Notice intact details such as decorative painting, and pegs for the musicians to hang their hats

Dixieland Hall:
522 Bourbon Street
Closed in april 1971. Several records were made in the hall, Sweet Emma Barrett and her original Tuxedo jazz band, Albert “Papa” French and his N.O. Jazz band (1965) (formely the Papa Celestin Band).

Dumaine Street:
The most important voodoo ceremonies of the Grand Voodoo festival, that took place from June 23rd and lasted until St. John’s Day, took place at Dumaine Street, adjacent to Congo Square.
– 1014 the “literal place” of Tennessee Williams, that he bought in 1962.
– 1017 New Orleans Jazz Museum, opened it doors in 1961 until 1969 when it was relocated. Nowadays
the collection is part of the Louisiana State Museum at the Old U.S. Mint.
– 1422 San Jacinto Hall

Songs:
Dumaine Street Breakdown (Tim Laughlin)
Durand’s:
1201 Perdido
Louis Durand had a grocery store-bar from 1895 until after 1906.5,p53

Duroux’s:
449 South Rampart
Frank Duroux started a saloon in 1903. In 1910 he was running a bar at 403 South Rampart and also maintaining a bar at 446 South Rampart. 5,p54