Encyclopedia L

Pete Lala’s Café:

On the corner of Iberville and Marais Streets, Storyville: opened in 1907
By 1914 Clarence Williams was managing the café.
He booked Edward “Kid” Ory’s Band. Ory hired Joe Oliver to replace his trumpeter and began to bill Oliver as “King”.
Before finally moving to Chicago, Oliver would lead his own band in Lala’s café.
In 1915 Clarence Williams was one of the entertainers here. In 1916 Clarence Williams assumed management of it and after that it was called Manhatten Cabaret.

LaMarque Street:
Algiers.
– 824 Lamarque Street was the house of Henry (Red) Allen Sr.

La Vida dance Hall:

Last Round-up:
On Bienville and Dauphine
It gots his name, because after jitney dances and all the other clubs closed up, the people came to the last Round-up. Alvert sat they played from 12 to 6 a.m. every night of the week.
Albert Jiles mentioned it in his interview with John Norris (See New Orleans Music Vol 15 no 6)

Lincoln Park:
Uptown: near the intersection of Carrollton Avenue and Earhart Boulevard.
In 1890s there was a man named André Porée, a drayman, a keeper of mules and wagons, chiefly for hauling garbage. He stabled his mules in a large open city block uptown. This place also had become a gathering place for the city’s Negroes. At this time the post-Civil War Jim Crow in the city began. One of the first acts was to prohibit the Negroes from gathering in any public park. This meant for instance the end of the open Sunday gathering of Negroes for worship and celebration, music and dance in Congo Square. This was not the end of all gathering, because the Sunday festivities moved to the open place where Porée kept his animals and wagons. In the 1890s the people were flocking in. Porée noticed the size of the crowds and the business being done by those who set up stands and wagons to sell food and refreshments.
Porée decided to invest his money in the future of the area. He set up an amusement ground with a main hall containing several smaller halls. It became a big success. He named it Lincoln Park in honor of the emancipator. For dances he hired a band and it’s said this was Buddy Bolden’s band.
The park opened in 1902 and remained open until about 1930

Loew´s State Theater:
1108 Canal Street
Now the State Palace, this theater opened in 1925 and was designed by Thomas W. Lamb, the world’s most prolific theater architect. The pit orchestra featured clarinetist Charlie Scaglioni and trumpetersLeo and Lucian Broekhoven. (see more)

Longshoremen’s Hall:
2059 Jackson Avenue (Original called Hagan’s Hall in 1888 and also known as Jackson Hall).
Mrs. Cecile Augustine said Buddy Bolden played for the Blue Ribbon Social Club for their dances in the Longshoremen’s Hal. 5,p56
It was the headquarters of the Longshoremen’s Benevolent Association. The longshoremen took it over and began sponsoring dances. 5,p68

Louisiana Avenue:
– Happy Goldston lived at the avenue.

Louisianian:
A weekly newspaper which covered social events in the black community. Through this newspaper we learned a lot about the jazz and brass bands in town.
Love and Charity Hall:
1330 Eagle Street.

Lulu White’s house:
Basin Street