Encyclopedia M

Magnolia plantation:

The home of the Eclipse Brass Band.
“Magnolia Plantation is significant in the history of American agriculture as one of the largest and most intact plantation complexes in the southern United States. The site contains a collection of extremely rare slave cabins. Magnolia also retains its cotton pressing and ginning equipment. The late nineteenth century system gin is an extremely rare survivor within the region, as is the antebellum screw press. Considered in context with extant structures on the plantation, cotton gins are potentially a powerful tool with which to interpret the American Souths quintessential industry, the production of raw cotton. The period of significance spans from c.1835, the date of the earliest building, to 1939, when Magnolia, following a trend across the South during the 1930s and 40s, stopped ginning its own cotton.” http://tps.cr.nps.gov/nhl/detail.cfm?ResourceId=-1953832489&ResourceType=District
– The plantation was one of the largest and most successful in the Delta country south of New Orleans, and was also known as Lawrence Post Office. It was given over to sugar production. The owner was Governor Henry Clay Warmoth. Warmoth purchased instruments and started paying James Humphrey to instruct a brass band in March 1897.
Prominent musicians that came from the plantation were Sunny Henry and Harrison Barnes.

Mahogany Hall:
235 Basin Street
The largest of the cabarets on Basin Street. It was owned by Miss Lulu White. Spencer Williams said it was his aunt and he lived their some time in his childhood.

Songs:
Mahogany Hall Stomp (Spencer Williams)

Mahogany Hall:
Opened in 1967, after Dixieland Hall was closed.

Main line:
A Main Line is the “main section or the members of the actual club, that has the permit to parade. The parades consist of a larger element of fans and the curious following that section of members.
Those fans, admirers and curious are the “second line” or part two of this planned street parade. These parades have come to be called and known by this fact.
Normally called, “Second Lines”, the sponsoring element is called the “Main Line” and is usually a Social (Aide) & Pleasure Club of the neighborhood in which they are parading. By state and city ordinances and law,  very seldom does these parades take up routes on heavily traffic laden thoroughfares in the city. Most are held in the back areas, visiting the stops that help the clubs to continue the tradition.

Maison Blanche:
Canal Street
It was a department store, where the Piron band played. Now the Ritz-Carlton Hotel is in it.
Ca 1900

Manhattan Cabaret:
Corner Iberville – Marais street
More commonly rememred as Pete Lala’s. Mid 1916 Clarence Williams assumed management of this cabaret.

Marie Laveau:
Mother (1794? – 1881), Daughter (1827 – 1897)
This article concerns two women who extended one life. The most famous voodoo queen in North America who were actually two persons—mother and daughter. They epitomized the sensational appeal of Vodounism New Orleans during the 19th and 20th centuries. They taught and used the religion’s magical powers to control one’s lovers, acquaintances, enemies, and sex. (see more)

Songs:
Marie Laveau by ? (played by Papa Celestin and Olympia Brassband)

Martin´s Saloon:
621 Iberville Street.
This bar, operated by Albert J. and Emile Martin, was strategically located at the corner of Exchange Alley and was a hangout for musicians waiting for calls for jobs. Jack Laine and others recruited from those in the bar and in the street. The interior and exterior of this building are little changed from their days as Martin’s. www.nps.gov/jazz

Masonic Lodge Building – Hall:
201 Decatur Street.
Known as Masonic Hall by musicians, this Italianate style building was built in 1877 for the Peoples Bank. It was the headquarters for the Grand Consistory and the Supreme Council of the Ancient & Accepted Scottish Rite Free Masonry of the State of Louisiana, a black Masonic order, from mid-1950’s to the late 1980’s.

Masonic Hall:
At the corner of Olivier and Pelican Streets at Algiers. Buddy Bolden played here with his Eagle Band. 5,p57
McKenna’s (Kenny’s / Mc Kenney’s) Hall:
Uptown: 1319 Perdido Street.
This was one of the nicknames of the Union Sons Hall unofficially called the Funky Butt Hall.

Mississippi Valley Hall:
Poydras Street
Isidore Barbarin mentioned it as a place where the Onward Brass band played for dances.

Moore’s Ice Cream Parlor:
2727 South Rampart Street.
A gathering spot for uptown pianists in the lkate 1920’s.

Mustache’s saloon:
Corner of Perdido and Franklin.
Corner Gravier and Rampart. 18,p43
Bunk Johnson said this was Buddy Bolden’s headquarters. 18