Encyclopedia P

Paddock Lounge: 1953, 309 Bourbon Street

Pelican Club:
407 Dryades Street
A short-lived colored social club that began in 1897 and ended up at 1126 Perdido a year or so later. 5,p55
Pelican Dande Hall:
South Rampart Street

Perseverance Hall number 4: (Loge la Perseverance)
155 North Villere Street, Downtown

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Perseverance Hall No. 4, was a white-built and managed Masonic lodge erected between 1819 and 1820. It is the oldest Masonic temple in Louisiana and is significant in the areas of religion, philosophy, and Masonic historic places. It’s historic significance is based on its use for dances, where black jazz performers and bands reportedly played for black or white audiences. Although the building was used for social functions such as weddings and balls where jazz musicians performed, these uses have only been occasionally documented, perhaps because many pertinent Masonic records have been destroyed. During the early 1900’s some bands, such as the Golden Rule Band, were barred from appearing at Perseverance Hall No.4, apparently because management considered them too undignified for the place. Various organizations, both black and white, rented Perseverance Hall No. 4 for dances, concerts, Monday night banquets, and recitals. The building also served as a terminal point for Labor Day parades involving white and black bands. During the 1920’s and 1930’s, well past the formative years of jazz, various jazz bands played there.

[/vc_column_text]

St. Claude Avenue

There was also a Perseverance Hall at 907 St. Claude Avenue.5,p60c

1030 Canal Street.
This club’s design was based on a Venetian Palazzo prototype by Shepley, Routan and Coolidge in 1896. It had a Turkish lounge and a roof garden. Its three-term president, music store impresario Philip Werlein, III, undoubtedly made sure that the latest in New Orleans music was played on the premises. The building has now been heavily modified. www.nps.gov-jazz

Pleasure clubs:
These organizations were primarily social clubs which did not offer insurance other than for burial. See also Benevolent associations.
Example: Jolly Bunch.

Poodle Dog Cabarets:
240 South Rampart Street
Clarence Williams was one of the entertainers in 1915.

Poodle Dog Café:
Bienville – Liberty street

Popeye Beer Parlor:
1135 Decatur Street.
The Popeye was one of the 1930’s Decatur St. establishments that managed to last for almost a decade. Musicians who played here included Billie & Dee Dee Pierce, Wilbert Tillman, George Lewis, Harold Dejan, Ernie Cagnolatti, Kid Howard, Lionel Ferbos, and John Brunious. http://www.nps.gov/jazz/

Providence Hall (also known as Mt. Zion Hall):
2241 South Liberty; Corner of South Liberty and Philip streets. Mrs. Alice Bolden (mother of Buddy Bolden) was a member of the Ladies Providence Society at the hall. 5,p69
About 1937 the hall was torn downand a church was built in it’s place. 5,p69

Pythian Temple Roof Garden:
– A top performance sites for local jazz bands was the Pythian Temple Roof Garden, part of the multi-story complex run by the Knights of Pythia. Whereas the Streckfus officials usually hired black bands to play on the boat for white audiences, the clients of the Pythian Temple was black affluent, representing a cross-section of New Orleans black middle and upper classes. By the mid-1920s, jazz bands were in demand at the Pythian Temple and debutante balls in the mansions of the Garden District. Jazz musicians who had been earning $1.50 a night working in dance halls and saloons in the District ten years earlier were now making $25 for a night’s work at these upscale locations. http://www.nps.gov/archive/jazz/Jazz%20History_origins_1895_1927.htm

  • Willie Washington was the owner.
  • The picture above was probably taken in August 1923. The band was on the balcony.
  • In the years 1924 until 1927 led an orchestra in the Garden