Encyclopedia S

San Jacinto Hall:

Tremé: 1422 Dumaine Street.
Owner: Beansie Fourier.
The last recording in the hall was on March 23 1966.
In 1967 a fire burned off the hall.

San Jacinto Hall:

San Jacinto Hall:

Shell Beach:
A resort near Delacroix Island south of New Orleans.

Silver Star
On St. Bernard and St. Claud.
Albert Jiles mentioned it in his interview with John Norris (See New Orleans Music Vol 15 no 6)

Sixth Street:
– On the uptown side, between Baronne and Dryades Streets, there was the home of Dave Perkins.

Smoky Row:
The block on Burgundy Street between Conti and Bienville, was the center of the lowest class of prostitution

Social aid and pleasure club:
These associations combined the functions of the Benevolent associations and the pleasure clubs.
Example: Zulus.

South Liberty Street:
– 5423 South Liberty Street was from the first half of 1880s the house of James B. Humphrey.
– Near the junction of Second and South Liberty Streets, George Alfred McCullum sr. was born.

South Rampart Street:
South Rampart was the main stem of Black Society in New Orleans.
Uncle Jake’s (Jake Itzkovich) Pawn Shop was a few doors up from Canal Street. Musicians redeem their pledges in order to make their gigs at night. http://jazz.tulane.edu/sites/all/themes/Howard_Tilton/docs/jazz_archivist/Jazz_Archivist_vol3no1_1988.pdf

401 South Rampart: Eagle saloon
South Rampart: Pelican Dance Hall
South Rampart: Red Onion Cabaret

Spanish Fort:
A popular summer resort in New Orleans, near West End.

Sparicio’s  Saloon:
1136 Decatur Street.
Johnny Sparicio was an early New Orleans violinist, music instructor, and bartender, and later a Milneburg dairy farmer, who was associated with bandleader Jack Laine and clarinetist Alcide “Yellow” Nunez. This was one of four bars operated by the Sparicios, and most likely the hangout for Laine and his musicians. www.nps.gov/jazz
Spiritual Hall:
Carondelet Street

S.S. Capitol:
One of the Streckfus boats.

SS Capitol orchestra
In the late 1918 or early 1919 Fate Marable and Peter Bocage organised an orchestra made up of New Orleans musicians. Picture made of Fate Marable’s S.S. Capitol Orchestra in 1920.

St. Claude Street:
– The home of music “professor” Paul E. Chaligny, who led his own Paul Chaligny Brass band.
– In 1900 George Lewis was born here, between Barracks and Governor Nicholls.
St. Elizabeth Hall.
Near Camp Street and Napoleon Avenue.

Storyville:
It came about in 1897. An alderman named Sidney Story decided to segregate the already booming vice in New Orleans into two more or less “open” districts, where prostitution would be allowed. One in the French Quarter and the most famous above Canal Street. The latter came to be popularly called Storyville. Louis Armstrong said (Life interview 1966) that Storyville was mostly for white people.
In November 1917, navy Secretary Josephus Daniels ordered the closing of New Orleans’ infamous red light district.

Suburban Gardens:
Louis Armstrong played here in 1931.