The Pacific Brass Band performed from about 1900 until 1910 or 1912. The band was based in Algiers6,p26. Probably the band may have come into existence on the demise of the Pickwick Brass Band and declined as Henry Allen’s Brass Band gained popularity. Had the name of the band relation with the Texas Pacific-Missouri Pacific Terminal Railroad of New Orleans.
In the 1920s or 1930s Henry “Kid” Rena used the name for his brass band, according to Kid Howard.
Uniform: they wore a uniform of green, brown and gold and a green Stetson hat
with a large white feather4,p-200.
From this musicians it’s known that they played in the Brass Band:
|Cornet/trumpet||Joe Lizard (Lazard or Lezerd (Eb), Manuel “Fess” Manetta, Jules “Deuce” Manetta Eb cornet( – )4,p200, Albert “Norm” Manetta4,p200, Henry “Kid” Rena, Elmer Talbert, Eddie Vincent, Charlie Love, Louis Douroux (replaced Hooker), George Hooker, Buddy Dash, Avery “Kid” Howard, Eddie Richardson (under Kid Rena), Louis de Rooke (early 1900s – )4,p200, Bunk Johnson ( – )6,p26|
|Trombone||Frank Duson, Buddy Johnson (early 1900s – )4-200, Eddie Vinson (he replaced Duson in the early 1900s – )4,p200, Dave “Old Man” Perkins, Albert Warner (under Kid Rena)|
|Clarinet||Albert “Dude” Gabriel (1910 – 1912)4,p200, George Lewis|
|Bariton horn||George Sims ( – )4,p200, Clay Dash (recplaced Sims in early 1900s – ), George Hooker|
|Alto horn||James A. Palao Spriggs, Flowers, Joe Payen (early 1900s – )4,p200|
|Alto sax||James A. Palao Spriggs, Manny Gabriel, Joe Payen, Joe Leesard (early 1900s – )4,p200|
|Bass horn||Joseph “Bobo” Lewis, Remeau (early 1900s – )4,p200|
|Snare drum||Duke (Dude) Simpson ( – )4,p200, Dude Calvin|
|Bass drum||George Davis ( – )4,p200, Edgar Mosley, Robert “Son fewclothes” Lewis (under Kid Rena)|
|??? drum||Bernie Dash|
|Manager||George Sims (from about 1900 to about 1910)16|
|Leader||Joe Lizard (Lazard) (and manager), Jules “Deuce” Manetta4,p200, Manuel Manetta (according to Peter Bocage), Henry “Kid” Rena|
At George Sims house the band rehearsed.
Milton “Mooney” Martin told in an interview, that Vinson and Johnson were the bands trombonists in 1908.